Pamper your pooch with the best dog grooming shears
The love we shower on our dog is returned. Hence most of us have started pampering these furry creatures at home by making homemade meals and comfortable clothes or even grooming them ourselves. It is a rewarding task, especially grooming dogs. Dog grooming at home is a blessing for the emotional bonds between you and your furry friend. Hence it needs investment in high quality and best dog grooming shears.
One of the foremost things to do is to determine your budget for dog grooming tools, especially dog grooming shears, as they tend to be the most important tool. After a good shear has been identified, the rest of the budget must be allocated to buy other tools like gloves, brushes, tables, etc.
Using the best dog grooming shears will increase your bonds with your furry friend and save you a lot of money.
The Best Dog Grooming Shears [Reviews 2022]
1. Pet Magasin Dog Grooming Scissors
- Set of two shears- one long blade shear, one short blade scissor.
- The tips of this product are rounded
- Constructed with surgical-grade stainless steel
- Pre-sharpened with fine sharp edges.
- Ergonomically designed and comes with cushioned handles and extra finger rest.
- Quiet operations don’t spook the dog.
This is a top pick for all dog owners. We qualify it in the best dog grooming shear list for the quality of its blades. Using a surgical stainless steel blade, the edges remain sharp for a long time. The ergonomically designed handles have comfortable cushioned grips, which don’t add strain to the wrist or cause muscle fatigue. To increase comfort levels, they have added an extra finger rest.
The longer shear has a smooth blade which is preferred for trimming longer hair or thicker coats. The shorter one is micro-serrated, which is beneficial when you need to groom delicate and finessed areas like the face and the paw. The rounded tips save your pet from accidental pokes or injury.
- Built is solid
- It is quiet and safe, with rounded tips
- It is a set of two
- Actual blades are smaller than others
2. GLADOG Professional Grooming Scissors for Dogs with Safety Round Tips, 5 in 1 Dog Grooming Scissors Set, Sharp and Durable Pet Grooming Shears for Dogs and Cats
- Professional Grooming Scissor Kit for your dog.
- Cines with a thinning shear, curved scissor, straight scissor, and pet comb.
- It also includes a cleaning cloth and a black leather case.
- The high-quality base material used.
- Ergonomic design and comfortable grip.
- No loud noise while using the scissor.
The GLADOG Professional Grooming Scissors for Dogs comes with safety round tips, so your beloved dog doesn’t get hurt with the tools. There won’t be any chances of poking or anything. Hence whenever you are setting your dog’s hair, there is nothing to worry about regarding the sensitive areas.
The scissors are made with the highest quality stainless steel material. They come with 4CR Titanium Coated Stainless Steel and are sharp. The tools are durable and won’t pull hair from your dog’s skin. For comfort and safety, the GLADOG Professional Grooming Scissors for Dogs are made with an ergonomic design. They fit perfectly in your fingers and won’t be pulled off accidentally.
There are rubber bumpers at the end of both rounds for protection. Moreover, the scissors are not going to make that much sound. Hence your dog will not be scared by the loud noise like any other scissor.
- Round Ends
- No Poking with Ergonomic Design
- Round End Tips
- Titanium Coated Material
- Stainless Steel
- No Accidental Clamping
- No Loud Noise
- Not Really
3. 7.0in Titanium Professional Pet Grooming Scissors Set, Straight & Thinning & Curved Scissors 4pcs Set for Dog Grooming
- Scissors are made with the highest quality base materials.
- They have already been polished and undergone grinding procedures.
- The entire set is durable and sharper.
- Best-quality results are offered with such premium tools.
- The kit includes a variety of items in it.
The 7.0in Titanium Professional Pet Grooming Scissors Set is a polished pet grooming set with amazing features. A convex arc design will increase the thrust of the scissors. It will make the cutting even smoother and more stable. The tip of each scissor has been crafted meticulously.
The thinning scissors have sharper edges and won’t clip hair while cutting. The manufacturer has used high-quality 6CR stainless steel material along with hard hardness. That makes these scissors durable as well as sharper. Each of the scissors has undergone careful polishing followed by grinding procedures.
Hence they come in better quality and deliver the best results. The entire set includes various items, so you won’t have to purchase anything separately.
- Evenly Polished Blade
- Convex Arc Design
- Best quality Material Used
- High-Quality 6CR Stainless Steel
- Pre-Grinded Scissors
4. Dream Reach 7 Inch Professional Pet Dog Grooming Shear
- This is a four-piece kit with three shears and a comb
- High-quality stainless steel coated with titanium
- Cold treatment on the blade to make it rust-proof, hard and smooth
- Comfortably designed contours and grips
- Multifunctional scissors
This is our favorite best dog grooming shears for those new to grooming and just starting. Though this is equally a good product for professionals, for a novice, it gives everything they can need to begin their journey of pet grooming.
First of all, this is an extremely sturdy and durable set constructed of stainless steel and coated with titanium which has been cold-treated and hardened to become rust-free and has sharp smooth-edged blades.
This ergonomically designed scissor set has a comfortable grip, a well-balanced weight, and a bright and smooth surface. The contours are designed to reduce hand fatigue and increase comfort. It has an adjustable tension control knob.
It is multi-functional that can help you groom any coat and even groom sensitive areas like the face and paws with 7.9 inches cutting scissor, 6.8 inches thinning scissor, a 7.7inches curved scissor, a grooming comb, and a scissor case.
The curved shear is multi-functional and is used for both down-curve and up-curve. This helps prevent repetitive motion injury.
- This is a precision weighted
- Extremely sharp, durable, and sturdy
- Set of 4
- Needs an adjustable center screw
5. Sharf Gold Touch Pet Scissors
- It is a 7.5 inches long straight blade.
- Made with Japanese stainless steel
- Professional grooming and home grooming are both easy
- Ergonomic design with gold screws and plates, with comfortable and removable rings
- Includes snap-close storage case.
If you are not a novice and are well versed in grooming your dog’s coat, this is one of the best dog grooming shears you should add to your kit. The Sharf Gold Touch Pet Shears has a 7.5 inches straight blade that has been sharpened to provide maximum sharpness and resharpening.
It is 42 teeth scissors that not only does remove dandruff problems but also help with mat and give your dog a style. The screw and screw plate have been made glittery with a golden color, where the golden rubber completes the sophisticated look.
The shears come alongside a quick closing case which takes care of the storage and protection. These shears are for everyone, from professionals to vets to novices; everyone can comfortably use this.
- A shiny and elegant finish
- Japanese steel makes it very sturdy
- A protective case that keeps it safe for long
- You need a lot of accessories for this
6. RUBOLD Professional Dog Grooming Scissors Set
- This is a 6-part kit.
- Stainless steel blades which are sharpened as razors
- Adjustable screw to tighten or loosen the blades
- Rounded tips of blades for the safety of dogs
- Ergonomic design with nonslip cushioned finger with finger rest
- The accessory includes a steel comb.
This is a versatile and all-encompassing kit that walks away with our title of best dog grooming shears for their multi-dimensional products. This set also includes a dog clipper.
The scissors are with blades that are razor sharp and that remain sharp for a long time. The adjustable screws on the blade are a boon to tightening or loosening the blades as needed. The blades provide precision and accuracy, which unbehest to other shears.
They ensure your dog remains safe when grooming it with these shears by having a rounded tip that will prevent accidental pokes and scare the dog. The sensitive areas, like the face, paw, etc., can be easily shaped thanks to their ergonomically designed nonslip finger holes.
They have added a finger rest to prevent wrist fatigue. It is a complete set of a 6inch straight scissor, 6 inches thinning scissor, a 7inch curved downward scissor, 6.5 inches steel comb, a cleaning cloth, and a protective case. There is not much one may need beyond these. They provide a 10-year replacement guarantee on being dissatisfied. Overall a very good product.
- Complete set of everything one needs for grooming
- Ergonomic design with round tips
- Razor sharp blades
- Quality control issues, though replacement is there
7. iSeaFly Dog Grooming Kit: Best Dog Grooming Shears Set
- Rounded tips of shears to prevent accidental hurt
- Razor sharp blades along with freely adjustable screw
- Silicone pad to protect finger pinching, muffler pads to prevent spooking
- Finger rest comfort to prevent fatigue
- Set of 4 shears, comb, cleaning cloth, and case
iSeaFly is a grooming kit for those who want the best dog grooming kit, which is durable and sturdy and will probably last generations. This completely industrial-grade stainless steel construction is robust, sturdy, and rust-proof.
Even though most shears are ergonomically designed, this brand takes it a notch higher and has silicone pads to prevent clamping together or hand fatigue. One doesn’t feel worked out after using these. They have muffler pads that drain out the sound and don’t spook the pet.
It has 5.5-inch scissors to cut the flat parts of a dogs hair, 4.5-inch scissors used for preening sensitive areas of a dog, curved scissors which help shape and style the pet’s coat, thinning shears that help thin and spruce the hair, and wide and fine tooth comb which helps untangle the hair.
- Is a composite set
- Extremely durable because of high-quality stainless steel
- Extremely silent and safe for pets
- The thinning shears are slightly rough
8. Purple Dragon 8.0 inch Professional Pet Grooming Scissors
- Robust 440 Japanese stainless steel construct
- 62 HRC hardened with a thinning rate of 35%-50%
- Cutting angle of 45degree, sharpest blades in the category
- Has a delicate screw and a silencer design
- A structured engineer has a comfortable design
- 8-inch chunkers
This is the best dog grooming shear for a professional groomer or someone with a dog who has a very thick coat. This is a premium high-grade shear. The robust 440 Japanese stainless steel used in the manufacture of this shear makes it functional and durable.
It has a cutting angle of 45 degrees which gives precise and smooth cuts yet is easy on the coat and doesn’t tug them. The handle is an engineered marvel that is strain-free and fatigue-free and doesn’t need additional support for any time.
These handmade scissors have a delicate adjustable screw that works well for adjusting according to your dog’s coat needs while having a silencer that drowns out all noises and prevents spooks in dogs. The well-balanced design is super effective despite this shear being slightly heavy.
- The razor-sharp blades
- The engineered ergonomic design
- Sharp 45-degree cutting angle
- Slightly heavy
9. Javen 7 Inch Dog Grooming Scissors
- The pre-sharpened blades are sharp enough to last many cuts
- The blades are coated and constructed with high-quality stainless steel to prevent rust
- Set of 4 shears
- The ergonomic design is comfortable on wrists.
This is the best dog grooming shear for those looking for a quality product at reasonable prices. This is a set of 4 individual shears that have multi-faceted uses. It has an adjustable key which makes adjusting the blades easy and well.
The 7 inches straight scissors here help you cut hair flats; the thinning scissors help you with the thinning of hair. It has a set of two curved scissors that are beneficial for beauty modeling and stylized grooming. Curved scissors are easy on the face, eyelashes, paws, etc.
This comes alongside a stainless steel comb that helps untangle the hair and matures it. It has an unconditional 10-year satisfaction guarantee.
- It is an inexpensive kit
- The black color
- The sharp blades
- It is good for beginners and novice
10. Scaredy Cut Silent Pet Grooming Kit for Cats & Dogs
- Buzz-free alternative to clippers
- A 16-piece set that lets you choose your length
- Offers customization of fit
- Professional scissors with a serrated blade
- Scissor construction from stainless steel
This is a patented product revolutionizing the market for the best dog grooming shears for sensitive pets. If your dog gets scared by clipper noises or the vibration of the clippers, yet you want to be able to adjust the lengths and want the ease of a clipper, this is your go-to product. It will take away your stress from a dog who always furs.
The scissors here are attached and protected by a comb. The set includes combs of 7 lengths from ½ inch to 1 inch. They have gel finger inserts that rest your fingers in long grooming sessions to ensure comfort. The inserts are removable in case you have thicker fingers.
The tension level of the scissors is adjustable by adjusting the screw in the center of the clippers. They have a two-year refund policy and a lifetime replacement guarantee.
- Innovative product
- It helps decide the length we need to cut
- Buzzer free alternative to clippers
- Blades not as sharp as others in the market
11. Elfirly Dog Grooming Scissors Set with Safety Round Tip
- Two grooming shears set
- Provide safety for dogs with rounded-end tips
- Hard and razor-sharp stainless steel blades that don’t rust
- Ergonomically designed with rubber rings to prevent fatigue
- Adjustable screw in the middle of the blade
- Silencer pad to prevent spooking of the dog
This is a professional pair of shears with thinning shears and curved scissors. They have a rounded edge that prevents hurt because of accidental slippage or pokes. They are the best dog grooming shears for trimming sensitive areas like the face, paws, etc.
They are the best-curved scissors that we found. The blades are sharp and durable and have been hardened to become rustproof. They have rubber rings in the holes to prevent fatigue and adjust to different finger sizes.
There is a mute silencer pad that drowns out the noise and an adjustable screw center. It has a half-dense and half-sparse comb with different densities of hair. It has an antifriction package, a cleaning cloth, and a black protective leather case.
- The curved scissors are the best available
- Silencer pads to prevent spooks
- Black leather storage case
- The thinners sometimes end up pulling hair
12. Gimars Titanium Coated 3CR Stainless Steel Dog Grooming Scissors Kit
- Constructed with titanium-coated 3CR stainless steel
- Set of 3 shears and various accessories
- Ergonomically designed to prevent fatigue
- Low in weight hence easy on the wrist
- The blades can be resharpened or tightened thanks to the adjustable screw
- The accessory includes a stainless steel comb with two types of teeth.
This is our best dog grooming shear as it is a product that is an investment for the long term. These shears are cold treatment hardness processed which ensures it remain rust-free for a long time to come. The blades are incredibly sharp and don’t pull on the hair of the dog.
It is ergonomically designed to be comfortable and has a contoured design around the handle and edges. They have plastic rings that are easily cleanable by being removed. To make them noiseless, they use silicone pads to drown out the sound of blades hitting each other.
It is a set of three scissors. It has a 7.3-inch curved shear, a 7.3inch straight scissor, and a 6.7-inch thinning shear. This is a perfect setting for every possible dog grooming that you may need to do. These sets can help loosen dirt and hair, untangle any thick coat, or provide a mat blend.
The screws on the blade are adjustable, making it very easy to sharpen the blades by removing them or tightening the blade when necessary. This can help you choose how thick or thin you want to choose. This is accompanied by a stainless steel comb with varied teeth sizes for a smoother hair finish.
- A shear for every need
- The scissors can untangle
- Titanium coated makes it rustproof
- Quality control issues for some
13. Conair PRO Textured Shears 6.5″
- High-quality stainless steel construction.
- It has a soft grip finger hole and rest.
- Useful for thinning and final adjustments
- Rounded tips for the safety of the dog.
This thinning shear makes it on the best dog grooming shears list because of its affordability and Japanese stainless steel construction. Conair Pro is a very good option for those who are looking for scissors that are affordable yet durable and highly precise.
The blades of these scissors are constructed with Japanese stainless steel and have a micro tooth for durability and finesse. To have a fine and perfect layer length rework, one must ensure the hairs are untangled and mat-free.
The blades are coated with EverGuard giving it a non-sticky, bump-free surface that aids the cutting. It has comfortable finger holes and pads, which are lightweight and ergonomically designed, giving the user more control and less fatigue. The rounded tips give you the advantage of cutting close to the eyes, ears, or mouth without injuring the dog.
- The 5inch rounded-tip blade
- EverGuard coated- hence nonsticky
- Perfect for sensitive or hard-to-reach areas
- Limited usability
Buying Guide – How do you groom a dog with scissors?
It is not as simple as going and picking up any scissors. Dog grooming shears need to be well thought out before being purchased. They are influenced by
- Dogs coat
This is the most dominating factor influencing the choice of dog grooming shears. The length of the hair, the depth or volume directly affects the shears you choose.
If your dog has a thin or fine coat, a small shear with a blade ranging from 5.5-6.5 inches is comfortably adequate. They will be able to provide a good cut without taxing you and making you exhausted. You generally do not need a shear that has a distinct style until you want your dog to have a specified style. In that case, a shear on one side a straight blade and on the other with a blade with teeth will be your buy. It will give a smoother and swankier cut.
If your dog has a medium to thick coat, then the need is for a completely different shear. One needs to choose a shear with a 7.5-8.5 inches blade. A long-blade shear is adept at taking off more cost than a short-blade shear. It also becomes very comfortable on the wrist of the person cutting it and is super efficient in providing a sleek and smooth finish.
If the coat is thick, one can opt for the shears, which are styled as thinning shears, or the ones with both blades having notched teeth, which helps to trim the bulky coat fast and effectively.
There are also curved dog grooming shears. These shears shape delicate areas like faces and paws and achieve a smooth design.
If we were to give our opinion, the best dog grooming shear would be a set of all three types, or if you are only looking for one, then go with a long blade because with that, you can shear any coat.
- The targeted use of dog grooming shears
This all boils down to the choice between regular ‘trim’ grooming sessions, general coat maintenance, or detailed grooming sessions. Dog grooming shears will differ based on that.
When you want to trim or lightly trim the areas around the face, paws, and ears, you need to invest in a short pair of scissors, preferably curved. This is so that a straight blade can give a straighter cut. A curved blade is preferred to groom these angular and smaller areas with finesse.
You can opt for a medium-length shear if you want to trim or do everyday coat maintenance. Or if you want to be your furry friends’ pet stylist, a professional pair of dog grooming shears is a must. Because this cut will take a long time, you need to be comfortable with shears that are low in weight, has flexibility, and are durable.
- Safety for the dog
Your dog is precious to you; you’d never want to hurt them. So it is paramount to look for safety features in a grooming shear. Shears with rounded edges are safer, and don’t end up poking your dog. A straight shear will need you to be more attentive while grooming your dog.
- Construction Material
One needs high-quality shear blades as regular cutting dulls the blades, which can pull the hair on being cut, especially around delicate areas of the face and paws. Therefore, the tool should be made of high-quality stainless steel, which will be toughened, stand the test of constant use, don’t dull the edges, and, most importantly, don’t pull on the dog’s coat.
- Ergonomics or comfort of use
Cutting your dog’s hair is not a fast task. It is a time-consuming and tedious process that takes time and patience. An ergonomically designed shear with comfortable rubber grips will reduce the strain on your wrist. It will prevent fatigue while grooming your dog. The rubber grip would also prevent slippage of the shears from the hands and hurting the dog. It also needs to be very lightweight to prevent health issues in the owner who is grooming the pet.
- Accompanying accessories
The best dog grooming shears need to be accompanied by the choicest accessories complementary to the grooming shears. They could be combs, cases, sheaths, etc. These make very important additions for those who don’t have much gear.
Dog Grooming Shears v/s Scissors
Scissors and shears are essentially different from each other. They are not the same. The points of distinction between the two are many, the most important ones being:
- Scissors have a symmetrical appearance where the holes for the index finger and thumb are the same size and symmetry. Shears have a larger hole for one finger than the other.
- The blade length is another determinant factor. Shears, by definition, have blades that are six or inches long. Scissors tend to have shorter blades.
- The edges of a scissor are mostly blunt. The shears have two edges- beveled and convex. Bevels have small serrations that prevent the hair from falling out or moving away when cut. This is ideal for dogs with softer fur and finer coats. Convex blades have a very smooth cutting experience. They are ideal for dogs with denser coats and thick fur.
The similarities are mostly in the material used in construction: stainless steel covered with a hardened and toughened alloy of carbon and iron. This is done to ensure that the blades remain rust-free and sharp for a very long period. The shears should be kept lubricated and clean to last long.
FAQs related to Best Dog Grooming Shears
1. What are thinning shears?
Shears are constructed to cut a large bunch of hair from the dog’s coat. It is for those with a dog who has a heavy coat and needs a grooming session to end with a lighter coat. This is a beneficial product for summers and warm weather as it leaves your hair with a lighter coat and more air supply. They help you give the dogs a good style as well.
2. How to use a thinning shear?
Answer- You need to choose a grooming spot that isn’t slippery and comfortable for you to move around. It can help if you leash and clip your dog. Using a comb with varying teeth, one must brush the coat and remove all mats and tangles. Then you take the shears close to the hair and start cutting out in a straight line; you need to cut and not pull out the hair.
3. How to care for a shear?
We all want long-lasting products, and to achieve it with your best dog grooming shears, you need to take care of their maintenance. They must be cleaned thoroughly after every use, removing any trapped fur or hair. In case using styling products like a spray, one needs to wipe that out carefully as well.
The next step is to dry out the shears well.
One also needs to buy a high-quality shear lubricant that is gently solvent and made from silicone. You need to tighten the screws to prevent rust buildup beneath them. After applying the lubricant, one needs to dry use the scissors for 30 seconds for even application of the lubricant and then store it in a cool and dry place.
4. Why can’t human scissors be used for dogs?
Human scissors have been designed for lighter and straighter hair. They are neither angled to prevent injury nor sharp enough to handle the dogs’ thick fur. Also, human scissors don’t have the safety and protective edges to avoid hurting the dogs.
5. Is it necessary to bathe the dog before grooming and have the hair wet?
Bathing the pet removes any dust, grime, or debris. It also helps untangle some of the knots while removing some mats. The hair shouldn’t be wet. Unlike humans, dogs’ hairs are cut when well dry. This prevents clogging of scissors and delays, and fatigue.
6. How often or when do you need to sharpen dog grooming shears?
Though it entirely depends on how often you groom your dog and the thickness of its coat, it is acceptable to sharpen your shears once every three months. This will prevent the hair from folding over while cutting or prevent tugs and pulls.
While you are doing your research for the best dog grooming shears, you will stumble upon a lot of difficulties of choice, as a lot of products would look similar. Even though we have tried to tell you which dog grooming shears are best dog grooming shear for which reason, it is still better to be practical and decide based on certain important points like- ease of use, the comfort of the grip, safety or the tip, built material, your need of a single shear or set.
Making a purchase of the correct shear will not only leave you happy, but the grooming sessions will become a satisfaction-giving process. Always match the coat to the shear you are planning to purchase.
We prefer the scissors over clippers as they don’t sook the dog, you don’t need to worry about power or battery, and they are inexpensive.
While we have tried to give you a comprehensive list of features with pros and cons, in our humble opinion, we would have gone with Gimars Titanium coated 3CR dog grooming shear, for we couldn’t find much fault with them. They were also surprisingly rustproof and long-lasting.