Pamper your pooch with the best dog grooming shears
The love we shower on our dog is returned back, hence most of us have started pampering these furry creatures at home ourselves, by making homemade meals, comfortable clothes, or even grooming them ourselves. It is a rewarding task, especially grooming dogs. Dog grooming at home is a blessing for the emotional bonds between you and your furry friend, hence it needs investment in high quality and best dog grooming shears.
One of the foremost things to do is finding out what is your budget for dog grooming tools, especially dog grooming shears, as they tend to be the most important tool. After a good shear has been identified, the rest of the budget must be allocated to buy other tools like gloves, brushes, tables, etc.
This use of best dog grooming shears will not only increase your bonds with your furry friend but also save you a lot of money.
The Best Dog Grooming Shears [Reviews 2020]
1. Pet Magasin Dog Grooming Scissors
- Set of two shears- one long blade shear, one short blade scissor.
- The tips of this product are rounded
- Constructed with surgical grade stainless steel
- Pre sharpened with fine sharp edges.
- Ergonomically designed which comes with cushioned handles and extra finger rest.
- Quiet operations don’t spook the dog
This is a top pick for all dog owners. We qualify it in the best dog grooming shear list for the quality of their blades. Using a surgical stainless steel blade, the edges remain sharp for a long time to come. The ergonomically designed handles have comfortable cushioned grips which don’t add strain to the wrist or cause muscle fatigue. To increase the comfort levels, they have added an extra finger rest.
The longer shear has a smooth blade which is preferred for trimming of longer hair or thicker coats. The shorter one is micro-serrated which is beneficial when you need to groom delicate and finesse areas like the face and the paw. The rounded tips save your pet from accidental pokes or injury.
- Built is solid and strong
- It is quiet and safe with rounded tips
- It is a set of two
- Actual blades are smaller than others
2. Gimars Titanium Coated 3CR Stainless Steel Dog Grooming Scissors Kit
- Constructed with titanium coated 3CR stainless steel
- Set of 3 shears and various accessories
- Ergonomically designed to prevent fatigue
- Low in weight hence easy on the wrist
- The blades can be resharpened or tightened thanks to the adjustable screw
- Accessory includes a stainless steel comb with 2 types of teeth.
This is our best dog grooming shear as it is a product that is in an investment for the long term. These shears are cold treatment hardness processed which ensures it remain rust-free for a long time to come. The blades are incredibly sharp and don’t pull on the hair of the dog.
It is ergonomically designed to be comfortable and has a contoured design around the handle and edges. They have plastic rings that are easily cleanable by being removed. To make them noiseless they use silicone pads to drown out the sound of blades hitting each other.
It is a set of three scissors. It has a 7.3-inch curved shear, 7.3inch straight scissor and a 6.7-inch thinning shear. This is a perfect setting for every possible dog grooming that you may need to do. These sets can help loosen the dirt and hair, untangle any thick coat, or provide a mat blend.
The screws on the blade are adjustable which makes it very easy to sharpen the blades by removing them or tightening the blade when need be. This can help you choose how thick or thin you want to choose. This is accompanied by a stainless steel comb with varied teeth sizes for a smoother hair finish.
- A shear for every need
- The scissors can untangle
- Titanium coated makes it rustproof
- Quality control issues for some
3. Conair PRO Textured Shears 6.5″
- High-quality stainless steel construction.
- It has a soft grip finger hole and rest.
- Useful for thinning and final adjustments
- Rounded tips for the safety of the dog.
This is a thinning shear yet it makes to the best dog grooming shears list because of its affordability and Japanese stainless steel construct. Conair Pro is a very good option for those who are looking for scissors that are affordable yet durable and highly precise.
The blades of these scissors are constructed with Japanese stainless steel and have a micro tooth for durability and finesse. To have a rework that is fine and perfect layer length, one needs to make sure the hairs are untangled and mat-free.
The blades are coated with EverGuard giving it a non-sticky and bump-free surface that aids the cutting manner. It has comfortable finger holes and pads which are lightweight and ergonomically designed giving the user more control and less fatigue. The rounded tips give you an advantage of cutting close to the eyes, ears or mouth without injuring the dog.
- The 5inch rounded-tip blade
- EverGuard coated- hence non sticky
- Perfect for sensitive or hard to reach areas
- Limited usability
4. Dream Reach 7 Inch Professional Pet Dog Grooming Shear
- This is a 4 piece kit with 3 shears and a comb
- High-quality stainless steel coated with titanium
- Cold treatment on the blade to make it rust proof, hard and smooth
- Comfortably designed contours and grips
- Multifunctional scissors
This is our favorite best dog grooming shears for those who are new to grooming and just starting out. Though this is equally a good product for professionals, for a novice it gives everything they can need to begin their journey of pet grooming.
First of all, this is an extremely sturdy and durable set that has been constructed by stainless steel and coated with titanium which has been cold treated and hardened to become rust free and has sharp smooth-edged blades.
This ergonomically designed scissor set has a comfortable grip with well-balanced weight alongside a bright and smooth surface. The contours are designed to reduce hand fatigue and increase comfort. It has an adjustable tension control knob.
It is multi-functional that can help you groom any kind of coat and even groom sensitive areas like face and paws with 7.9 inches cutting scissor, 6.8 inches thinning scissor, a 7.7inches curved scissor, a grooming comb and a scissor case.
The curved shear is multi-functional and is used for both down-curve and up-curve. This helps prevent repetitive motion injury.
- This is a precision weighted
- Extremely sharp, durable and sturdy
- Set of 4
- Needs an adjustable center screw
5. Sharf Gold Touch Pet Scissors
- It is a 7.5 inches long straight blade.
- Made with Japanese stainless steel
- Professional grooming and home grooming both easy
- Ergonomic design with gold screw and plates, with comfortable and removable rings
- Includes snap close storage case
If you are not a novice and are well versed in grooming your dog’s coat, this is one of the best dog grooming shears that you should add to your kit. The Sharf Gold Touch Pet Shears has a 7.5 inches straight blade which has been sharpened in a manner to provide maximum sharpness and resharpening.
It is 42 teeth scissors which not only does remove dandruff problems, it helps with mat and gives your dog a style. The screw and screw plate has been made glittery with a golden color, where the golden rubber completes the sophisticated look.
The shears come alongside a quick closing case which takes care of the storage and protection. These shears are for everyone, from professional to vets to novice, everyone can comfortably use this.
- A shiny and elegant finish
- Japanese steel makes it very sturdy
- A protective case that keeps it safe for long
- You need a lot of accessories for this
6. RUBOLD Professional Dog Grooming Scissors Set
- This is a 6 part kit
- Stainless steel blades which are sharpened as razors
- Adjustable screw to tighten or loosen the blades
- Rounded tips of blades for the safety of dogs
- Ergonomic design with non slip cushioned finger with finger rest
- Accessory includes steel comb.
This is a versatile and all encompassing kit which walks away with our title of best dog grooming shears for their multi-dimensional products. This set also includes a dog clipper.
The scissors are with blades that are razor sharp and that remain sharpp for a really long time. The adjustable screws on the blade is a boon to tighten or loosen the blades as per need be. The blades provide a precision and accuracy which unbehest to other shears.
They make sure your dog remains safe when you are grooming the dog with these shears by having a rounded tip that will prevent accidental pokes and scare the dog. The sensitive areas like face, paw etc can be easily shaped thanks to their ergonomically designed non slip finger holes.
They have added a finger rest to prevent wrist fatigue. It is a complete set of a 6inch straight scissor, 6 inches thinning scissor, 7inch curved downward scissor, 6.5 inches steel comb, a cleaning cloth and a protective case. There is not much one may need beyond these. They provide a 10 year replacement guarantee on being dissatisfied. Overall a very good product.
- Complete set of everything one needs for grooming
- Ergonomic design with round tips
- Razor sharp blades
- Quality control issues, though replacement is there
7. iSeaFly Dog Grooming Kit: Best Dog Grooming Shears Set
- Rounded tips of shears to prevent accidental hurt
- Razor sharp blades along with freely adjustable screw
- Silicone pad to protect finger pinching, muffler pads to prevent spooking
- Finger rest comfort to prevent fatigue
- Set of 4 shears, comb, cleaning cloth and case
iSeaFly is a grooming kit for those who want the best dog grooming kit which is durable and sturdy and will probably last generations. This is a completely industrial grade stainless steel construct that is robust and sturdy alongside being rust proof.
Even though most shears are ergonomically designed, this brand takes it a notch higher and has silicone pads to prevent clamping together or hand fatigue. One doesn’t feel worked out after using these. They have muffler pads which drain out the sound and don’t spook the pet.
It has a 5.5 inch scissors to cut the flat parts of a dogs hair, a 4.5 inch scissors used for preening sensitive areas of a dog, curved scissors which helps shape and style the pets coat, the thinning shears which help thin and spruce the hair and a wide and fine tooth comb which helps untangle the hair.
- Is a composite set
- Extremely durable because of high quality stainless steel
- Extremely silent and safe for pets
- The thinning shears is slightly rough
8. Purple Dragon 8.0 inch Professional Pet Grooming Scissors
- Robust 440 Japanese stainless steel construct
- 62 HRC hardened with a thinning rate of 35%-50%
- Cutting angle of 45degree, sharpest blades in the category
- Has a delicate screw and a silencer design
- A structured engineer like has a comfortable design
- 8-inch chunkers
This is the best dog grooming shear for a professional groomer or someone with a dog who has a very thick coat. This is a premium high-grade shear. The robust 440 Japanese stainless steel used in the manufacture of this shear makes it functional and durable.
It has a cutting angle of 45 degrees which gives precise and smooth cuts yet is easy on the coat and doesn’t tug them. The handle is an engineered marvel that is strain-free and fatigue-free and doesn’t need additional support to be used for any length of time.
These handmade scissors have a delicate adjustable screw which works well for adjusting according to your dog’s coat needs, while having a silencer that drowns out all noises and prevents spooks in dogs. The well balanced design is super effective despite this shear being slightly heavy.
- The razor sharp blades
- The engineered ergonomic design
- Sharp 45 degree cutting angle
- Slightly heavy in weight
9. Javen 7 Inch Dog Grooming Scissors
- The pre-sharpened blades are sharp enough to last many cuts
- The blades are coated and constructed with high-quality stainless steel to prevent rust
- Set of 4 shears
- Ergonomic design comfortable on wrists.
This the best dog grooming shear for those who are looking for a quality product at reasonable prices. This is a set of 4 individual shears that have multi-faceted uses. It has an adjustable key which makes adjusting the blades easy and well.
The 7 inches straight scissors here help you cut hair flats, the thinning scissors help you with the thinning of hair. It has a set of two curved scissors that are beneficial for beauty modeling and stylized grooming. Curved scissors are easy on the face, eyelashes, paws, etc.
This comes alongside a stainless steel comb that not only helps in untangling the hair but also matting it. It has an unconditional 10-year satisfaction guarantee.
- It is an inexpensive kit
- The black color
- The sharp blades
- It is good for beginners and novice
10. Scaredy Cut Silent Pet Grooming Kit for Cats & Dogs
- Buzz free alternative to clippers
- A 16 piece set which lets you choose your length
- Offers customization of fit
- Professional scissors with a serrated blade
- Scissor construction from stainless steel
This is a patented product revolutionizing the market for best dog grooming shears for sensitive pets. If your dog is one who gets scared with clipper noises or vibration of the clippers, yet you want to be able to adjust the lengths and want the ease of a clipper, this is your go-to product. It will take away your stress from a dog who furs all the time.
The scissors here are attached and protected by a comb. The set includes combs of 7 different lengths from ½ inch to 1 inch. To ensure the comfort, they have gel fingers inserts which give your fingers rest in long grooming sessions. The inserts are removable in case you have thicker fingers.
The tension level of the scissors is adjustable by adjusting the screw in the center of the clippers. They have a two-year refund policy and a lifetime replacement guarantee.
- Innovative product
- Helps decide the length we need to cut
- Buzzer free alternative to clippers
- Blades not as sharp as others in the market
11. Elfirly Dog Grooming Scissors Set with Safety Round Tip
- Two grooming shears set
- Provide safety for dogs with rounded end tips
- Hard and razor sharp stainless steel blades that don’t rust
- Ergonomically designed with rubber rings to prevent fatigue
- Adjustable screw in the middle of the blade
- Silencer pad to prevent spooking of the dog
This is a professional pair of shears that have a thinning shear and curved scissors. They have a rounded edge that prevents hurt because of accidental slippage or pokes. They are the best dog grooming shears for trimming sensitive areas like face, paws, etc.
They are the best-curved scissors that we found. The blades are sharp and durable and have been hardened to become rustproof. They have rubber rings in the holes to prevent fatigue but to also be adjustable to different finger sizes.
There is a mute silencer pad that drowns out the noise and an adjustable screw center. It has a half dense and half sparse comb with different densities of hair. It has an antifriction package with cleaning cloth and a black protective leather case.
- The curved scissors is the best available
- Silencer pads to prevent spooks
- Black leather storage case
- The thinners sometimes end up pulling hair
Buying Guide – How do you groom a dog with scissors?
It is not as simple as going and picking up any scissors. Dog grooming shears need to be well thought before being purchased. They are influenced by
- Dogs coat
This is by far the most dominating factor which influences the choice of dog grooming shears. Length of the hair, the depth or volume makes a direct effect on the shears you have to choose.
If your dog has a thin or fine coat, a small shear with a blade ranging from 5.5-6.5 inches is comfortably adequate. They will be able to provide a good cut, without taxing you and making you exhausted. You, in general, do not need a shear which has a separate style, until you want your dog to have a specified style. In that case, a shear which is on one side a straight blade and on the other has a blade with teeth will be your buy. It will give a smoother and swankier cut.
If your dog has a medium to thick coat, then the need is for a completely different shear. One needs to choose a shear with a 7.5-8.5 inches blade. A long blade shear is adept at taking off more cost than a short blade shear. It also becomes very comfortable on the wrist of the person cutting it and is super efficient in providing a sleek and smooth finish.
If the coat is thick one can opt for the shears which are styled as thinning shears or the ones with both the blades having notched teeth, which helps to trim the bulky coat fast and effectively.
There is also a curved dog grooming shears. This kind of shears are used to shape delicate areas like face and paws and achieve a smooth design.
If we were to give our opinion, then the best dog grooming shear would either be a set of all 3 types or if you are only looking for the one, then go with a long blade because with that you can shear any kind of coat.
- The targeted use of dog grooming shears
Basically, this all boils down to the choice between regular ‘trim’ grooming sessions or general coat maintenance or detailed grooming sessions. Dog grooming shears will differ on the basis of that.
When you want to just trim or lightly trim the areas around the face, paws, ears, one needs to invest in a short pair of scissors which is preferably curved. This is so as a straight blade shall be able to give a straighter cut, to groom these angular and smaller areas with finesse, curved blade is preferred.
In case you just want to do trim or everyday maintenance of the coat, you can opt for a medium length shear. Or if you want to be your furry friends’ pet stylist, a professional pair of dog grooming shears are a must. Because this cut will take a long time, you need to be comfortable shears which are low in weight, has flexibility and is durable.
- Safety for the dog
Your dog is most precious to you, you’d never want to hurt them. So it is paramount that one looks for safety features in a grooming shear. Shears with rounded edges are safer and don’t end up poking your dog. A straight shear will need you to be more attentive while grooming your dog.
- Construction Material
One needs high-quality shear blades as regular cutting dulls the blades and that can pull the hair on being cut, especially around delicate areas of the face and paws. The tool should, therefore, be made of high-quality stainless steel which will be toughened, stands the test of constant use, doesn’t dull the edges and most importantly doesn’t pull on the dogs’ coat.
- Ergonomics or comfort of use
Cutting your dog’s hair is not a fast task. It is a time consuming and tedious process which takes a lot of time and patience. An ergonomically designed shear, with comfortable rubber grips, will reduce the strain on your wrist. It will prevent fatigue while grooming your dog. The rubber grip would also prevent slippage of the shears from the hands and hurting the dog. It also needs to be very lightweight to prevent health issues in the owner who is grooming the pet.
- Accompanying accessories
The best dog grooming shears need to be accompanied by choicest of accessories that are complementary to the grooming shears. They could be a comb, cases, sheaths etc. For those who don’t have much gear with them, these make very important additions.
Dog Grooming Shears v/s Scissors
Scissors and shears are essentially different from each other. They are not the same. The points of distinction between the two are many, the most important ones being:
- Scissors have a symmetrical appearance where the holes for the index finger and thumb are same sized and in symmetry. Shears have the hole for one finger larger than that for the other finger.
- The blade length is another determinant factor. Shears by definition have blades which are 6 or inches long. Scissors tend to have shorter blades.
- The edges in a scissor are mostly blunt. The shears have two edges- beveled and convex. Beveled have small serrations which prevent the hair from falling out or moving away when being cut. This is ideal for dogs with softer fur and finer coats. Convex blades have a very smooth cutting experience. They are ideal for dogs with denser coats and thick fur.
The similarities are mostly of the material used in construction, that is, stainless steel covered with a hardened and toughened alloy of carbon and iron. This is done to ensure that the blades remain rust-free and sharp for a very long period of time. The shears should be kept lubricated and clean to last long.
FAQs related to Best Dog Grooming Shears
1. What are thinning shears?
Shears that are constructed in a manner to cut a large bunch of hair from the dog’s coat. It is for those with a dog who have heavy coats and need a grooming session to end with lighter coats. This is a beneficial product for summers and warm weather as it leaves your hair with a lighter coat and hence more supply of air. They help you give the dogs a good style as well.
2. How to use a thinning shear?
Answer- You need to begin with choosing a grooming spot that isn’t slippery and is comfortable for you to move around. It can help if you leash and clip your dog. Taking a comb with varying teeth, one needs to brush out the coat and remove all mats and tangles. Then you take the shears close to the hair and start cutting out in a straight line, you need to cut and not pull out the hair.
3. How to care for a shear?
We all want long-lasting products, and in order to achieve it with your best dog grooming shears, you need to take care of their maintenance. They need to be cleaned thoroughly and well after every use, removing any trapped fur or hair. In case using styling products like a spray, one needs to carefully wipe that out as well.
The next step is to dry out the shears well.
One also needs to buy a high-quality shear lubricant, that is gently solvent and made from silicone. You need to tighten the screws to prevent rust buildup beneath it. After the application of the lubricant, one needs to dry use the scissors for 30 seconds for even application of the lubricant and then store it in a cool and dry place.
4. Why can’t human scissors be used for dogs?
Human scissors have been designed for lighter and straighter hair. They are neither angled to prevent injury nor are sharp enough to handle the thick fur or the dogs. Also, human scissors don’t have the safety and protective edges to avoid hurting the dogs.
5. Is it necessary to bathe the dog before grooming and have the hair wet?
Bathing the pet removes any dust, grime or debris. It also helps untangle some of the knots while removing some mat. The hair shouldn’t be wet unlike humans, the dogs’ hairs are cut when well dry. This prevents clogging of scissors and delays and fatigue.
6. How often or when do you need to sharpen dog grooming shears?
Though it entirely depends on how often you groom your dog and the thickness of their coat, it is accepted to sharpen your shears once every three months. This will prevent the hair from folding over while cutting or prevent tugs and pulls.
While you are doing your research for the best dog grooming shears, you will stumble upon a lot of difficulties of choice, as a lot of products would look similar. Even though we have tried to the tell you which dog grooming shears is best dog grooming shear for which reason, it is still better to be practical and decide on the basis of certain important points like- ease of use, the comfort of the grip, safety or the tip, built material, your need of a single shear or set.
Making a purchase of the correct shear will not only leave you happy, but the grooming sessions would become a satisfaction giving process. Always match the coat to the kind of shear you are planning to purchase.
We prefer the scissors over clippers as they don’t sook the dog, you don’t need to worry about power or battery and they are inexpensive.
While we have tried to give you a comprehensive list of features with pros and cons, in our humble opinion we would have gone with Gimars Titanium coated 3CR dog grooming shear for we couldn’t find much fault with them. They were also surprisingly rustproof and long-lasting.