A dog with loose stool and diarrhea is a painful sight. The dog is so miserable and in pain and loses all its liveliness. Several things cause loose stool in your canine friend. The most important being allergies or an unsuitable diet.
When the dog has difficulty digesting the food, loose stools tend to result. The best dry dog food for loose stools would be grain-free, simple, and without preservatives. Formulas and fewer ingredient-based dog food have been observed to have a healing approach to the dog’s gut.
Changing your dog’s diet will result in a happy, bouncing, and energetic dog.
10 Best Dry Dog Food for Loose Stool [Reviews 2022]
1. ZIWI Peak Air-Dried Dog Food – All Natural, High Protein, Grain Free & Limited Ingredient with Superfoods
The ZIWI Peak Air-Dried Dog Food comes in various flavors and food items. Customers can switch between different flavors so their beloved dog can have all its nutrients. Various flavors, including Beef, chicken, tripe and lamb, mackerel and lamb, venison, etc., are offered by the manufacturer. It includes authentic whole-prey ratios and free-range lamb, bone, organs, and more. It has been safely air-dried and will offer peak nutrition and taste for your doggy.
It doesn’t contain any added carbohydrates in the packaging. Hence it would be preferred for sensitive dogs. The ZIWI Peak Air-Dried Dog Food doesn’t contain cheap fillers like potatoes, peas, grain, or other things. Such things lead to food allergies, obesity, and more, which is why they are not included in this dog food. This dog food supports digestion, a healthy coat and skin, and inflammation reduction.
Regular consumption of ZIWI Peak Air-Dried Dog Food leads to brain and heart better health. It is an ideal healthy dog meal for any dog. Wild-caught seafood has been added to it for protein requirements. It will also promote dental and oral health for your dog. Additionally, you can have your dog with a healthy weight maintained after a few meal consumption.
- Grain Free
- Low Carb
- Supports Digestion
- Reduces Inflammation
- Promotes Brain Health
- Boosts Heart Functioning
- Delicious Dog Food
- Not Really
2. Wellness CORE Grain-Free High-Protein Dry Dog Food, Natural Ingredients, Made in USA with Real Meat, All Breeds, For Adult Dogs (Lamb, Ocean, Turkey, Reduced Fat, and Wild Game Recipes)
The Wellness CORE Grain-Free High-Protein Dry Dog Food is a premium source of protein and balanced nutritious food for your dog. It is a complete dog food that guarantees all th nutrients your dog will need. Hence there is no need to give anything else to your dog along with this item. It is available in various packagings such as Turkey, Reduced Fat, Wild Game, Ocean, Lamb, and more.
All the dog foods offered by Wellness are available in Grain and Grain-free recipes. You can choose what you want for your dog. You can also choose a limited-ingredient diet for your dogs if they have food sensitivities. It is made with a high concentration of protein from fresh meat ingredients. The Wellness CORE Grain-Free High-Protein Dry Dog Food contains omega fatty acids to boost your dog’s health.
It is made in the USA and contains the finest globally sourced ingredients. The offered food is made with delicious recipes and with natural ingredients. Your dog will be getting the best nutrition from it. It maintains digestive health along with better heart health. There are no artificial flavors or preservatives added to this dog food.
- Grain Free
- Balanced Dog Food
- Nutritious Superfood
- No Fillers
- No Preservatives
- Delicious Dog Food
- Maintains Heart Health
- Boosts Metabolism
- Contains Anti-oxidants
- Made in the USA
- Not Really
3. Lucy Pet Formulas for Life – Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food, All Breeds & Life Stages – Salmon, Pumpkin, & Quinoa
This is the best dry dog food for loose stools for pets with an extremely weak gut and hence low nutrient absorption. Lucy Pet formulas are not just a brand of dog food but are a product that a dog-loving community has developed for the welfare of these canines.
This product includes the protein from Alaskan salmon, not any by-products of salmon, which is said to be the best for a sensitive stomach and doesn’t cause any allergy. For carbohydrate and vegetable needs, it features top-of-line ingredients like chickpeas, quinoa, and pumpkin, which are rich in nutrients and packed in solid Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which help keep the coat shiny and the joints mobile. Chickpeas also provide the complex carbohydrate needed to repair the gut while being easily absorbed and adding the extra punch of amino acids.
The pumpkin provides the fiber that helps digestion and a healthy heart. It is a blend of all products that have been naturally preserved. This dog food brand adds L-Carnitine and Taurine for a healthy heart. This also helps keep their vision sharp and clear. Prebiotic fiber helps maintain the balance of the gut’s flora and fauna; they use added vitamin E and flaxseed oil to provide a healthy nervous system.
This is a brand that is trusted by the military and police force also for their dogs.
- Complex proteins in Salmon, chickpea, quinoa
- L-Carnitine and Taurine for healthy heart and eyes
- Prebiotic fibers which maintain the gut
- Expensive for the range
4. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Every dog is different from the others, and every dog’s digestive tract is different. Therefore, different best dry dog food for loose stools for different dogs will be different. This is a brand that features novel protein as real smoked salmon. This is a grain-free product that combines novel protein with nutrients; it adds vegetables like sweet peas and sweet potatoes for vitamin and nutrient benefits.
Real salmon is very easy on the dog’s sensitive stomach and helps digestion. It gives a powerful kick from anti-oxidants, including vegetable tomatoes and raspberries; blueberries are immunity boosters. They give the immune system much-needed support. This has included chelated minerals to help in the proper absorption of nutrients by the gut. The omega fatty acids are the nutrients that give the coat and fur the maintenance and shine needed.
Pre and probiotics form the core of this recipe. They form the composition of good bacteria needed in any digestive tract, especially canine.
- Salmon protein is easy to digest
- Dogs love the flavor
- Pre-probiotics are a strong healing addition
- Not for those with a fish allergy
5. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Sensitive Stomach & Skin Recipes
This is the best dry dog food for loose stools in terms of popularity and sales. They have the most admirable reputation of being a brand that uses all quality ingredients and hasn’t disappointed anyone yet.
They have a remarkable balance giving it a large dog to dry food. It features chicken as the primary protein, which has a high appeal to the canine’s digestive system, while adding whole wheat sorghum and a rice meal combination to make it easy to digest. Despite being easily digestible, this has a remarkably high amount of nutrients that support the stomach and slowly heals. It doesn’t worsen it. With the amount of vitamin E, antioxidants, and omega six fatty acids, it is imperative for your dog to have a shiny and lustrous coat.
The prebiotic fiber provides a healthy microbiome balance in your dog’s gut. This product is made from all-natural ingredients and is recommended by most veterinarians.
- Lack of artificial additives, flavors or preservatives; this is easy on a sensitive stomach.
- It can easily be combined with other ingredients
- All dogs easily love chicken protein
- It may not suit well to puppies
6. Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Salmon & Potato Formula Dry Dog Food
This is the best dry dog food for loose stools for dogs with acutely sensitive stomachs. The dog owners here need to be extremely conscious of the diet they give their canines. The Wellness Simple follows a remarkably plain, not bland, and carefully chosen combination. To be honest, this is mastery at its best.
The protein here is salmon, and the carbs are potatoes. The high standard of protein and carbs does away with any sensitive stomach issues. Food intolerance and allergy become the most important reason for loose stools. Therefore, a diet of simple and nutrient-filled food restores balance.
There is a host of prebiotics and probiotics in this, which are the good bacterial composition of a gut. They restore the gut and help the stomach settle. It has tremendous Omega acids, which are boosted further by the nutrients from salmon. Natural glucosamine is the reason why they claim to keep healthy joints.
- It mainly focuses on a weak stomach
- It gives 5% crude fiber to the stomach
- Some dogs react to smell
7. Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe Natural Dog Food & Toppers
This is an Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet that is grain-free. The packaging shows a perfectly cooked tender lamb steak, which is exactly what you get. A real grass-fed lamb that has been freeze-dried and raw coated. This provision of protein is simple, nutritive, and easy on the stomach. Sweet peas give the carbohydrates necessary for the diet.
There is an addition of tapioca and canola oil to give that burst of other nutrients that cause the disbalance. Its simplicity is the USP that has earned it so many followers and the award for the best dry dog food for loose stools. This helps during the loose stools and minimizes the discomfort if used regularly, it also prevents loose stool while providing adequate nutrients.
This is a first-in-its-class raw kibble, which is raw coated, making your dog taste the near-natural protein. It’s as good as his being in the wild. All the components used to make this dog food are real and raw and have no artificial flavor or additive.
- It gives strength to the dogs’ immunity
- It helps promote healthy skin and coat
- Provides antioxidants to raise immunity
- Not easily mixable with other products
8. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Sensitive Stomach Dry Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan is a painstakingly crafted health food for dogs. It has all the dietary needs to make it the best dry dog food for loose stools and sensitive skin. This is the best product that ends up satisfying and becoming the craving of your canine.
This is a protein combination of rice and salmon together. This concoction has the most optimal protein for your adult dog to have. This brand has patented over 80 formulas for dog food to meet most dogs’ preferences and unique nutritional needs. They not only provide support to sensitive stomachs but also are the reason behind healthy weight management, healthy aging, and good skin.
This is a brand that provides nutrition from both oatmeal and rice, which ensures a high amount of carbohydrate intake. This product is full of fish oil which gives all the essential omega fatty-3 acids. Corn and wheat do help to reduce all allergies and allergic symptoms.
This will provide a very well-balanced nutrition plan. Omega 6 is added to ensure joint mobility and efficiency. This also helps heal the skin from the inside; thus, dogs having sensitive skin heal better.
- Fabulous for skin sensitivities
- Keeps joint very healthy and mobile
- The right amount of protein is added
- It smells weird
9. Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
This is the best dry dog food for loose stools for those canines who are fussy eaters and want their food moistened. Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch is a gluten-free, potato starch-free alternative for dogs with sensitive stomachs. This 4th generation family-owned company prides itself on its nutritious meals and claims never to have a product recall.
This has no grains; it is a grain-free, high-protein alternative diet.
They have herring, salmon, and pacific whiting products, which provide a high protein diet that helps to develop their body, sustain energy, and aid muscle functions. The added omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are the powerhouses that establish a lipid barrier in your canine while maintaining the nourishment of your dog’s coat.
They use vegetables and fruits like sweet peas, cranberries, apples, blueberries, spinach, and carrot. They provide the needed beta-carotene that helps strengthen a dog’s immune system.
They also use completely recyclable packaging.
- The essential amino acid requirement is fulfilled by up to 32%
- The energy release is structured by the inclusion of L-carnitine
- A tremendous source of Omega fatty acids
- Have added probiotics which ease digestion and provide better excretion
- Fiber content is low at 4%
10. Iams Proactive Health Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Grain Free Dog Food
Iams proactive is not reduced to canines of any age. They are a healthy meal option for canines of all ages. This uses real chicken protein and not remains of the chicken industry. Farm-raised chickens who are healthy and have been nurtured well are only used for this product. This is a no-grain recipe with no trace of wheat, corn, or soy, which will cause a flare-up of any allergies. The sensitive stomach of canines needs a simple yet nutritious meal; at Iams, they have strived to provide just that.
They have wholesome fibers alongside natural prebiotics, which reduce loose stools and help in better digestion and absorption of nutrients. They have a well-balanced ratio of Omega 3 and 5 fatty acids, which maintain the shine of the skin and keep the coat healthy and lustrous.
The other unique feature is that it has a grain-free kibble which would not cause Plaque buildup in the teeth of the dogs and keep bad breath and decaying teeth at bay.
- Most dogs love the flavor
- Skin allergies clear up
- The ingredients easily digest and remove vomit from the dog
- The kibble tends to be larger for small dogs
This brand is the best dry dog food for loose stools in a puppy with a sensitive stomach. This brand ays stress protein while eliminating or limiting carbohydrates. This brand promises a reduced amount of preservatives and uses mostly a single source of protein alongside other ingredients easily digestible by the weak stomach of the dog. This helps the development of the puppy into a healthy adult canine.
The kibbles are mostly small; it is easier for the dogs to chew and their stomach to break them.
The components are brought together in a manner that gives enough nutrients for stages of growth. The composition of limited natural ingredients is an excellent balance to the diet. They do not contain soy, corn, and other such hard-to-digest elements.
This brand uses the most premium quality ingredients thoughtfully designed by nutrition experts. They come with various options like lamb, salmon, chicken, etc.
- Made with simple animal protein which prevents exposure to allergens
- Brown rice is added as insoluble fiber
- Entirely natural products
- Enriched with salmon oil which is good for joints.
- Has added DHA for neurodevelopment
- Lack of any vegetables or fruits
Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet, Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food
This is a wrecking ball for your canine stomach troubles. This is the best dry dog food for loose stools for any canine with stomach sensitivities. The ingredients and composition talk tall claims about the same. The turkey and rice packs are the most popular, with the dogs wagging their tails for hours. Turkey is a very source of protein while is complemented by potatoes, and sweet peas have high nutritional value.
They have added omega fatty acids to this alongside other whole-food grains that your canine would need. The added vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals are in a separate kibble.
They choose the purest and finest ingredients to make this product. The calcium and phosphorus in this product are great for bone and teeth development. The presence of Glucosamine is to keep the joints smooth. They don’t use any by-products like dairy, soy, or corn, which are known to increase insensitivity.
- Reduces any allergy or trouble to a sensitive stomach
- The presence of fish oil and flaxseed causes smooth fur and eyes
- It contains over 26% protein
- It has oatmeal which adds the bulk
- The presence of soft veggies helps nutrient absorption and taste
- Not enough for very large dogs
What causes diarrhea in canines?
- Food- It is one of the primary reasons which cause loose stool amongst dogs. Generally, dogs are big eaters and tend to gulp down their food fast, which causes serious digestive issues. Puppies tend to eat contaminated food. These are the reasons why most canines suffer from gastric issues. Wrong food is the tipping point for all stomach troubles. Fat, sugar, salt, and refined foods are the next bad food habits that cause loose stools in dogs.
- Bacteria- They are serial infections caused in a dog’s gut. They occur more frequently than not. They range from a minor that can be treated at home to major issues. You need to consult a doctor if diarrhea is accompanied by fever, vomiting, or loose stools.
- Allergic reactions- Dogs have a sensitive immune system that can cause various allergenic issues. Food is the primary reason for allergies. Diarrhea or loose stools which are accompanied by itchy skin, and stomach pain, often indicate the presence of an allergy. Once the owner recognizes this, choosing the right ingredient in the food is all that may be needed to alleviate this issue.
- Stress- Like humans, dogs get stressed too. Similarly, like humans, stress affects their digestive gut, causing loose stools or loose bowels. An upset dog’s bowel can be soothed by stress reduction and/or a change in food.
When to worry if your dog has loose stools?
- Tiredness– It brings about exhaustion in the furry canines. The low absorption of nutrients and poor digestion causes low energy and fatigue. When a dog loses its usual playfulness and cheeriness, one can understand that they have digestive issues.
- Vomiting– This disturbing experience upsets both the dog and its owner. Loose stool and vomiting generally indicate the same cause of a weak stomach. In case it becomes extreme, a medical opinion must be taken.
- Fever– The same issue often causes fever or increased temperature alongside diarrhea. It may cause dehydration if not corrected on time.
- Dehydration– Diarrhoea is one of the most prevalent and worrisome outcomes. Loose stools, frequent, cause water and salt loss from the body and cause dehydration. Dry-looking eyes and dry gums are some signs of dehydration. One needs to restore water and electrolyte balance.
Why choose a dry dog for loose stools?
Dry dog food alleviates some of the worrisome effects of loose stools. They help by:
- Providing proper nutrition– When a dog suffers from chronic diarrhea, he needs special nutritional care and a well-balanced diet to increase vitality. One must choose the best dry dog food for stools designed for the pet’s delicate digestive system. The right choice helps in a healthy gut. Nutritional experts use their experience to formulate a blend that helps your dog digest the food better. The proportion of nutrition in these foods is properly balanced and well proportioned.
The products do not contain allergens, additives, or coloring agents that affect digestion.
- They add bulk to the stool– Some food types add fiber that aids digestion by adding bulk to the stool. The careful combination of products helps alleviate the causes of loose stools. They also have prebiotics and probiotics that help restore the balance of healthy gut flora and fauna.
- Prevents allergies– As discussed earlier, allergens are present in certain food types. These expertly formulated diet plans have low allergens and take care not to process anything causing allergies. Dry dog food for loose stools does not contain top allergens like wheat, soy, corn, or gluten. They are all gluten-free. They are free from artificial colors, preservatives, and additives.
- Prevents bowel diseases– Commonly recurring bowel diseases are loose stools, vomiting, and smelly poop. It happens when your canine cannot digest the nutrients from your regular food. It is, therefore, difficult for them to be able to digest the nutrients present in the food.
What can be done to firm up loose stool?
When the dog is suffering, we all tend to suffer a little bit; the best way to alleviate the suffering is by firming up the stools and providing digestive support that eases the distress.
There are several ways to firm up loose stools in their pet. It must be noted that in case of chronic symptoms, medical advice must be solicited before following anything from the internet.
- Reducing the portion size- Small quantities of food must be given regularly to help firm up the stool. Low quantities of food relieve strain on the dogs’ digestive tract. This can be done best by removing all sorts of food for 12-24 hours. Following it up with half the regular feed and increasing the quantity every subsequent feed. Reduce the treats for some time.
- Foods that help firm stool should be given- Foods that help relieve digestive stress by firming the loose stools must be given to alleviate some of the suffering. For example, a can of pureed pumpkin with yogurt can be a great addition as they provide calcium and other vitamins while bulking the stool.
- Feeding bland foods- Digestive issues call for a course of a bland food diet. Bland food helps soothe the digestive tract and ease excess acids. Chicken and rice are fantastic options that can be given.
- If these basics don’t work, one can change the dog food. The best manner of selecting dog food is discussed below.
What are the things to look for in dry dog food for loose stools caused by a sensitive stomach?
There is so much variety and competition in the market; how do you know which product is good for your dog and which is just a part of the marketing gimmicks? The things one should look at while choosing the best dry dog food for loose stools are:-
- Easily digestible ingredients– The product should have a single protein. The protein offered should be either chicken, lamb, salmon, duck, etc. These are easy-to-digest amino acids and don’t affect the stomach too much.
They have easily processed carbohydrates from potatoes, peas, and pumpkins. These provide fiber and help to firm up the stools.
The presence of high-fiber ingredients like sweet potato, pumpkin, and oats gives bulk to the stool. Fibers are of two types-
- Soluble fiber– These are the type of fibers that absorb water and help slow down digestion. This helps the food to get digested, and nutrition absorbed. Some of the soluble fibers are oatmeal, barley, fruits, etc.
- Insoluble fiber– These are the fibers that add bulk to the stools. It helps speed up the digestion process. This causes proper digestion. Some of them are- quinoa, vegetables, and other whole grains.
- Moderate content of fat-
Dogs, too, require good fats in their diet. These fats are essential in maintaining the quality of their coat, skin, and eyesight. Fats should be healthy fats and ones that burn fast and give energy.
Too much fat can cause ailments like heart disease and pancreatitis. The ideal fat range for a canine should be between 5-25% until and unless it is a small pup or an energetic canine.
- Minerals and Vitamins-
Dry dog food should be well-balanced in minerals and nutrients. Minerals and nutrients are required to fight gut issues and develop a healthy immune system. Compounds like Omega fatty acids, L-Carnitine, and Taurine are the essential elements that help maintain joints and other essential organs.
- Balanced Ratio of Macronutrients
It is important to note that the presence of protein, carbs, vitamins, and minerals is important, but what is more important is that all these essentials must be present in a balanced ratio. High protein with an equal balance of carbs and fiber is necessary.
FAQs about Best Dry Dog Food for Loose Stools
1. Should home remedies be followed for dogs with loose stools and sensitive stomachs?
There are times when over-the-counter medication is not available, and it is not possible for one to visit a veterinarian. You can only try some home remedies for dogs with loose stools in those cases. To give you an idea, it can be-
- Using natural probiotics like yogurt to restore gut flora and fauna
- Oatmeals, bananas, pumpkins, and sweet potatoes are fine examples of food that help firm up stools
- Any low-fat protein like turkey, chicken, and salmon combined with easy-to-digest complex carbs like rice help tremendously.
- Water consumption should be reduced.
2. Is a dry food diet good for puppies with diarrhea?
In today’s times, there are formulations of dry food, especially for small pups. They are composed of ingredients known to be hypoallergenic and ease diarrhea. Grains, gluten, additives, and preservatives are all avoided in the same. Puppies should have a carefully structured diet such that they recover well and it doesn’t affect their development.
3. Is a grain-free diet well-balanced and nutritious?
The veterinarian agrees that grains should be at least 10% of the pup’s diet. However, many experienced food manufacturers produce zero-grain diets, low-grain diets, or sensitive stomachs. These formulations are easy to digest and reduce allergy levels in pups. These are easy to digest and have proteins that help in growth and carbs that supply energy.
4. Why do dogs develop sensitive stomachs?
Like humans, dogs have various reasons why they can suffer from loose bowels.
- By birth- some dogs are born with a sensitive stomach caused by a congenital condition. If your furry friend suffers from food allergies and a sensitive stomach from birth, you need to take special care early on.
- Some breeds are more susceptible- Certain breeds are genetically more prone to getting a weak stomach. They tend to have small stomachs that fill up faster or food insensitivity which causes vomit and loose stools.
- It can be a precursor to a more serious ailment and not the ailment itself. For example, loose stools and vomiting can also be caused by pancreatitis, tumors, ulcers, etc.
5. How to change your dog’s diet?
The only rule is a slow and gradual change of diet. It should be started with a cleansing diet or a fast to clean the tract. Then should be in the following steps-
- Fasting- to clear out existing excesses from the system
- Hydrating- Keeping your canine friend hydrated with water and solutions to maintain electrolyte balance.
- Giving specialized dog food that you plan to switch to. It is going to be a limited-ingredient diet.
- Giving smaller portions- One should mix the new meal with the old meal in a ratio of 80-20, proceeding to the full amount.
- Giving supplements- Probiotics and prebiotics are necessary for any gut to digest food. One needs to give these supplements to aid digestion.
For a dog owner, this could be the most difficult task he sets out to do. Many variables need to be considered before making the final choice, whereas it needs to be known that not all products are ideal for your dog. One needs to do a trial and error-selection procedure to finally arrive at the correct dry dog food for loose stools.
In our opinion, the best dry dog food for loose stools is Lucy’s Pet Formula, a limited-ingredient diet that doesn’t contain any allergens like wheat, corn, or soy, amongst others. The single-source protein is an Alaskan Salmon for them. The product has a healthy balance of vitamins and minerals, prebiotics, and probiotics, which aid digestion.