A dog with loose stool and diarrhea is a painful sight. The dog is so miserable and in pain and loses all its liveliness. There are a number of things that cause loose stool in your canine friend. The most important being allergies or an unsuitable diet.
When the dog has difficulty in digesting the food, loose stools tend to be the result. The best dry dog food for loose stools would be one that is grain-free, simple and without preservative. Formulas and fewer ingredient-based dog food have been observed to have a healing approach to the dog’s gut.
Changing your dogs’ diet will result in a happy, bouncing and energetic dog.
10 Best Dry Dog Food for Loose Stool [Reviews 2020]
1. Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Puppy Food with Grains
This is a brand of which is the best dry dog food for loose stools in a puppy with a sensitive stomach. This brand ays stress on protein while eliminating or limiting carbohydrates. This is a brand that promises a reduced amount of preservatives and uses mostly a single source of protein alongside other ingredients that are easily digestible by the weak stomach of the dog. This helps the development of the puppy into a healthy adult canine.
The kibbles are mostly small in size, it is easier for the dogs to chew and their stomach to break it.
The components are brought together in a manner that gives enough nutrients for stages of growth. The composition of limited natural ingredients is an excellent balance to the diet. They do not contain soy, corn and other such hard to digest elements.
This brand uses the most premium quality ingredients which have been thoughtfully designed by nutrition experts. They come with a variety of options like lamb, salmon, chicken, etc.
- Made with simple animal protein which prevents exposure to allergens
- Brown rice is added as insoluble fiber
- Entirely natural products
- Enriched with salmon oil which is good for joints.
- Has added DHA for neurodevelopment
- Lack of any vegetable or fruits
2. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet, Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food
This is a wrecking ball for your canine stomach troubles. This is by far the best dry dog food for loose stools for any canine with stomach sensitivities. The ingredients and composition talk tall claims with regards to the same. The most popular is the turkey and rice pack which has the dogs wagging their tails for hours. The turkey is a very source of protein while being complemented with potatoes and sweet peas have high nutritional value.
They have added omega fatty acids to this alongside other whole-food grains that your canine would need. The added vitamins, antioxidants and minerals are present in a separate kibble.
They choose the purest and finest ingredients to make this product. The calcium and phosphorus in this product are great for bone and teeth development. The presence of Glucosamine is to keep the joints smooth. They don’t use any by-products like dairy, soy, corn which are known to increase insensitivity.
- Reduces any allergy or trouble to a sensitive stomach
- The presence of fish oil and flaxseed causes smooth fur and eyes
- Contains over 26% protein
- Has oatmeal which adds the bulk
- The presence of soft veggies helps nutrient absorption and taste
- Not enough for very large dogs
3. Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
This is the best dry dog food for loose stools for those canines who are fussy eaters and want their food moistened. Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch is a gluten-free, potato starch-free alternative for dogs with a sensitive stomach. This is a 4th generation family-owned company that prides itself on their nutritious meals who claim to never have a product recall.
This has no grains, it is a grain-free high protein alternative diet.
They have products with herring, salmon, pacific whiting which provides a high protein diet that helps to develop their body and also to sustain energy and aid the functions of muscle. The added omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are the powerhouses that establish a lipid barrier in your canine while maintaining the nourishment of your dogs’ coat.
They use vegetables and fruits like sweet peas, cranberries, apples, blueberries, spinach and carrot. They provide the needed beta-carotene that helps strengthen a dogs’ immune system.
They also use completely recyclable packaging.
- The essential amino acid requirement is fulfilled up to 32%
- The energy release is structured by the inclusion of L-carnitine
- A tremendous source of Omega fatty acids
- Have added probiotics which ease the digestion and provide better excretion
- Fiber content is low at 4%
4. Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Every dog is different from the other, every digestive tract of a dog is different from the others, therefore there will be different best dry dog food for loose stools for different dogs. This is a brand that features novel protein as real smoked salmon. This a grain-free product that not just combines novel protein with nutrients, it all adds vegetables like sweet pea and sweet potatoes for the vitamin and nutrient benefits.
The real salmon is very easy on a sensitive stomach of the dog and helps in easy digestion. It gives a powerful kick from anti-oxidants from included vegetable tomatoes, raspberries, blueberries are the immunity boosters. They give the immune system the much-needed support. To help in proper absorption of the nutrients by the gut, this has included chelated minerals. The omega fatty acids are the nutrients that give the coat and fur the maintenance and shine which is needed.
Pre and probiotics form the core of this recipe. They form the composition of good bacteria needed in any digestive tract, especially canine.
- Salmon protein is easy to digest
- Dogs love the flavor
- Pre-probiotics are a strong healing addition
- Not for those with a fish allergy
5. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Sensitive Stomach & Skin Recipes
This is by far the best dry dog food for loose stools in terms of popularity and sales. They have the most admirable reputation of being a brand that uses all quality ingredients and hasn’t disappointed anyone yet.
They have a remarkable balance giving it a large dog to go to dry food. It features chicken as the primary protein which has a high appeal to the canines digestive system while adding whole wheat sorghum and a rice meal combination to make it easy to digest. Despite being easily digestible, this has a remarkably high amount of nutrients that support the stomach and slowly heals. It definitely doesn’t worsen it. The amount of vitamin E, antioxidants, omega 6 fatty acids this boat, it is imperative for your dog to have a shiny and lustrous coat.
The prebiotic fiber provides a healthy balance of microbiome in your dog’s gut. This is a product made from all-natural ingredients and hence is recommended by most veterinarians.
- Lack of any artificial additives and flavors or preservatives, this is easy on a sensitive stomach.
- It can easily be combined with other ingredients
- Chicken protein is easily loved by all dogs
- May not suit well to puppies
6. Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Salmon & Potato Formula Dry Dog Food
This is the best dry dog food for loose stools for dogs with an acutely sensitive stomach. The dog owners here need to be extremely conscious of the diet they give their canine. The Wellness Simple follows a remarkably plain, not bland, and carefully chosen combination. To be honest as per this is mastery at its best.
The protein here is salmon and the carbs are potatoes. The high standard protein and carbs do away with any sensitive stomach issues. Food intolerance and allergy become the most important reason for loose stools, therefore a diet of simple and nutrient-filled food restores the balance.
There is a host of prebiotics and probiotics in this which are the good bacterial composition of a gut. They restore the gut and help the stomach settle. It has tremendous Omega acids which are boosted further by the nutrients from salmon. The natural glucosamine is the reason why they claim to keep healthy joints.
- Mainly focuses on a weak stomach
- Gives 5% crude fiber to the stomach
- Some dogs react to smell
7. Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Recipe Natural Dog Food & Toppers
This is an Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet which is grain-free. The packaging itself shows a perfectly cooked tender lamb steak, which is exactly what you get. A real grass-fed lamb that has been freeze-dried and raw coated. This provision of protein is simple, nutritive and easy on the stomach. The sweet peas give the carbohydrates necessary for the diet.
There is an addition of tapioca and canola oil to give that burst of other nutrients which cause the disbalance.Its simplicity is the USP that has earned it so many followers and the award for the best dry dog food for loose stools. This not only helps during the loose stools and minimizes the discomfort then if used regularly also prevents loose stool while providing adequate nutrients.
This a first in its class raw kibble which is raw coated, making your dog taste the near-natural protein. It’s as good as his being in the wild. All the components used to make this dog food are real and raw and have no artificial flavor or additive.
- Gives strength to the dogs’ immunity
- Helps promote healthy skin and coat
- Provides antioxidants to raise immunity
- Not easily mixable with other products
8. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Sensitive Stomach Dry Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan is a painstakingly crafted health food for dogs. It has all the dietary needs to make it the best dry dog food for loose stools and sensitive skin. This is by far the best product that ends up satisfying and becoming the craving for your canine.
This is a protein combination of rice and salmon together. This concoction has the most optimal protein for your adult dog to have. This is a brand which has patented over 80 formulas for dog food to meet most dogs preference and unique nutritional needs. They not only provide support to sensitive stomachs but also are the reason behind healthy weight management, healthy aging, good skin.
This is a brand that provides nutrition from both oatmeal and rice which ensures a high amount of carbohydrate intake. This product is full of fish oil which gives all the essential omega fatty-3 acids. Corn and wheat do help to reduce all allergy and allergic symptoms.
This will provide a very well-balanced nutrition plan. Omega 6 is added to ensure joint mobility and efficiency. This also helps heal the skin from inside and thus the dogs having a sensitive skin heal better.
- Fabulous for skin sensitivities
- Keeps joint very healthy and mobile
- The right amount of protein is added
- It smells weird
9. Lucy Pet Formulas for Life – Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food, All Breeds & Life Stages – Salmon, Pumpkin, & Quinoa
This is the best dry dog food for loose stools for those pets who have an extremely weak gut and hence low nutrient absorption. Lucy Pet formulas are not just a brand of dog food but are a product that has been developed by a dog-loving community for the welfare of these canines.
This product includes the protein from Alaskan salmon, not any by-products of salmon, which is said to be the best for the sensitive stomach and doesn’t cause any allergy. For the carbohydrate and vegetable needs, it features top of line ingredients like chickpeas, quinoa and pumpkin which are not only rich in nutrients, they also pack in a solid Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which help keep the coat shiny and the joints mobile. Chickpeas also provide the complex carbohydrate that is needed to repair the gut while being easily absorbed, while adding the extra punch of amino acids.
The pumpkin provides the fiber that helps in healthy digestion and a healthy heart. It is a blend of all products that have been naturally preserved. This dog food brand adds L-Carnitine and Taurine for a healthy heart. This also helps keep their vision sharp, and clear. The use of prebiotic fiber helps maintain the balance of the guts flora and fauna, they use added vitamin E and flaxseed oil to provide a healthy nervous system.
This is a brand that is trusted by the military and police force also for their dogs.
- Complex proteins in Salmon, chickpea, quinoa
- L-Carnitine and Taurine for healthy heart and eyes
- Prebiotic fibers which maintain the gut
- Expensive for the range
10. Iams Proactive Health Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Grain Free Dog Food
Iams proactive is not reduced to canines of any age. They are a healthy meal option for canines of all ages. This uses real chicken protein and not remains of the chicken industry. Farm-raised chickens who are healthy and have been nurtured well are only used for this product. This is a no grain recipe which doesn’t have any trace of wheat, corn, soy which will cause a flare-up of any allergies. The sensitive stomach of canines needs a simple and yet nutritious meal and at Iams, they have strived to provide just that.
They have wholesome fibers alongside natural prebiotics which not only reduce loose stools, but they also help in better digestion and absorption of nutrients. They have a well-balanced ratio of Omega 3 and 5 fatty acids which maintain the shine on the skin and keeps the coat healthy and lustrous.
The other unique feature is that it has a grain-free kibble which would not cause Plaque buildup in the teeth of the dogs and keep bad breath and decaying teeth at bay.
- The flavor is loved by most dogs
- Skin allergies actually clear up
- The ingredients easily digest and remove vomits from the dog
- The kibble tends to be larger for small dogs
What causes diarrhea in canine?
- Food- It is one of the primary reasons which cause loose stool amongst dogs. Generally, dogs are big eaters and tend to gulp down their food really fast which causes serious digestive issues. Puppies tend to eat contaminated food. These are the reasons why most canines suffer from a gastric issue. Wrong food is the tipping point for all stomach troubles. Fat, sugar, salt and refined foods are the next bad food habits that cause loose stools in dogs.
- Bacteria- They are the serial infection caused in a dog’s gut. They occur more frequently than not. They range from being minor that can be treated at home to major issues. If diarrhea is accompanied by fever, vomiting, loose stools, then you need to consult a doctor.
- Allergic reactions- Dogs have a sensitive immune system that can cause a host of allergenic issues. Food is the primary reason for allergies. Diarrhea or loose stools which are accompanied by itchy skin, stomach pain often indicate a presence of allergy. Once the owner recognizes this, choosing the right kind of ingredient in the food is all that may be needed to alleviate this issue.
- Stress- Like humans dogs get stressed too. Similarly like humans again, stress affects their digestive gut causing loose stools or loose bowels. An upset dog’s bowel can be soothed by stress reduction and/or with a change in food.
When to worry if your dog has loose stools?
- Tiredness– It brings about exhaustion in the furry canines. The low absorption of nutrients and poor digestion causes low energy and fatigue. When a dog loses his usual playfulness and cheeriness, one can understand that they have digestive issues.
- Vomiting– This is a disturbing experience that upsets both the dog and its owner. Loose stool and vomiting generally indicate the same cause of a weak stomach. In case it becomes extreme, a medical opinion must be taken.
- Fever– Fever or increased temperature alongside diarrhea are often caused by the same issue. It may cause dehydration if not corrected on time.
- Dehydration– Diarrhoea is one of the most prevalent and worrisome outcomes. Loose stools, frequent, cause water and salt loss from the body and cause dehydration. Dry looking eyes, dry gums are some signs for dehydration. One needs to restore water and electrolyte balance.
Why choose a dry dog for loose stools?
Dry dog food is important in alleviating some of the worrisome effects of loose stools. They help by:
- Providing proper nutrition– When a dog suffers from chronic diarrhea he needs special nutritional care and a well-balanced diet to increase vitality. One needs to choose the best dry dog food for stools which are designed for the pets delicate digestive system. The right choice helps in a healthy gut. Nutritional experts use their experience to formulate a blend that helps your dog digest the food better. The proportion of nutrition in these foods is properly balanced and well proportioned.
The products do not contain any allergens, additives and coloring agents that affect the digestion.
- They add bulk to the stool– Some of the food types add fiber that aid digestion by adding bulk to the stool. The careful combination of products helps alleviate the causes of loose stools. They also have prebiotics and probiotics that help restore the balance of healthy gut flora and fauna.
- Prevents allergies– As discussed earlier, allergens are present in certain food types. These expertly formulated diet plans have low allergens and take care to not process anything causing allergies. Dry dog food for loose stools does not contain top allergens like wheat, soy, corn, gluten. They are all gluten-free. They are free from artificial colors, preservatives and additives.
- Prevents bowel diseases– Commonly recurring bowel diseases are loose stools, vomiting, smelly poop. It happens when your canine is unable to digest the nutrients from your regular food. It is therefore difficult for them to be able to digest the nutrients present in the food.
What can be done to firm up loose stool?
When the dog is in suffering, we all tend to suffer a little bit, the best way to alleviate the suffering is by firming up the stools and providing digestive support that eases the distress
There are several ways with which one can firm up the loose stools in their pet. It must be noted that in case of chronic symptoms, medical advice must be solicited before the following anything from the internet.
- Reducing the portion size- Small quantities of food must be given at regular intervals to help in firming up the stool. Low quantities of food relieve strain on the dogs’ digestive tract. This can be done best by removing all sorts of food for 12-24 hours. Following it up with half the regular feed and increasing the quantity every subsequent feed. Reduce the treats for some time.
- Foods that help firming stool should be given- Foods that help relieve digestive stress by firming the loose stools must be given to alleviate some of the sufferings. To give an example a can of pureed pumpkin with yogurt can be a great addition as they would provide the calcium and other vitamins while bulking the stool.
- Feeding bland foods- Digestive issues call for a course of a bland food diet. Bland food helps soothe the digestive tract and ease excess acids. Chicken and rice are fantastic options that can be given.
- In case these basics don’t work, one can change the dog food. The best manner of selecting dog food is discussed below.
What are the things to look for in dry dog food for loose stools caused by a sensitive stomach?
There is so much variety and competition in the market, how to know which product is good for your dog and which product is just a part of the marketing gimmicks. The things one should look at while choosing the best dry dog food for loose stools are:-
- Easily digestible ingredients– The product should have a single protein. The protein offered should be either chicken, lamb, salmon, duck, etc. These are easy to digest amino acids and don’t affect the stomach too much.
They have easily processed carbohydrates from potatoes, peas and pumpkins. These provide fiber and help to firm up the stools.
The presence of high-fiber ingredients like sweet potato, pumpkin, oats gives bulk to the stool. Fibers are of two types-
- Soluble fiber– These are the type of fibers which absorb the water and help slow down digestion. This helps the food to get digested and nutrition absorbed. Some of the soluble fiber are oatmeal, barley, fruits, etc
- Insoluble fiber– These are the fibers that add bulk to the stools. It helps speed up the digestion process. This causes proper digestion. Some of them are- quinoa, vegetables and other whole grains.
- Moderate content of fat-
Dogs too require good fats in their diet. These fats are essential in maintaining the quality of their coat, skin, and eyesight. Fats should be healthy fats and ones that burn fast and give energy.
Too much fat can cause ailments like heart diseases and pancreatitis. The ideal fat range for a canine should be between 5-25% until and unless it is a small pup or an energetic canine.
- Minerals and Vitamins-
Dry dog food should be well balanced in minerals and nutrients. Minerals and nutrients are required to fight gut issues and develop a healthy immune system. Compounds like Omega fatty acids, L-Carnitine, Taurine are the most essential elements that help in the maintenance of joints and other essential organs.
- Balanced Ratio of Macronutrients
It is important to note that the presence of protein, carbs, vitamins, minerals are important, but what is more important is that all these essentials must be present in a balanced ratio. High protein with an equal balance of carbs and fiber is necessary.
FAQs about Best Dry Dog Food for Loose Stools
1. Should home remedies be followed for dogs with loose stools and sensitive stomach?
There are times when over the counter medication is not available and it is not possible for one to visit a veterinarian. Only in those cases, you can try some of the home remedies for dogs with loose stools. To give you an idea, it can be-
- Using natural probiotics like yogurt to restore gut flora and fauna
- Oatmeals, banana, pumpkin, sweet potatoes are fine examples of food that help firm up stools
- Any low-fat protein like turkey, chicken, salmon combined with easy to digest complex carbs like rice help tremendously.
- Water consumption should be reduced.
2. Is a dry food diet good for puppies with diarrhea?
In today’s times there are formulations of dry food, especially for small pups. They are composed of those ingredients which are known to be hypoallergenic and ease diarrhea. Grains, gluten, additives, preservatives are all avoided by the same. Puppies should have a carefully structured diet such that they recover well and it doesn’t affect their development.
3. Is a grain-free diet well balanced and nutritious?
It is normally agreed upon by the veterinarian that grains should be at least 10% of the pup’s diet. Though a lot of experienced food manufacturers produce zero grain diets or low grain diets or a sensitive stomach. These formulations are easy to digest and reduce allergy levels in pups. These are easy to digest and have proteins which help in growth and carbs that supply energy.
4. Why do dogs develop a sensitive stomach?
Like humans, dogs have various reasons why they can suffer from loose bowels.
- By birth- there are some dogs who are born with a sensitive stomach caused by a congenital condition. If your furry friend suffers from food allergies and sensitive stomach from birth, then you need to take special care early on.
- Some breeds are more susceptible- There are certain breeds that are genetically more prone to getting a weak stomach. They tend to have stomachs that are small and fill up faster or food insensitivity which causes vomit and loose stools.
- It can be a precursor to a more serious ailment and not the ailment itself. For example loose stools, vomiting can be also caused by pancreatitis, tumors, ulcers, etc.
5. How to change your dogs’ diet?
The only rule is a slow and gradual change of diet. It should be started by a cleansing diet or a fast to clean the tract. Then should be in the following steps-
- Fasting- to clear out existing excesses from the system
- Hydrating- Keeping your canine friend well hydrated with water and solutions to keep electrolyte balance.
- Giving specialized dog food that you plan to switch to. It is going to be a limited ingredient diet.
- Giving smaller portions- One should mix the new meal with the old meal in a ration of 80-20, therefore proceeding to the full amount
- Giving supplements- Probiotics and prebiotics are necessary for any gut to be able to digest food. One needs to give these supplements to aid digestion.
For a dog owner, this could be by far the most difficult task he sets out to do. There are many variables that need to be considered before making the final choice, whereas it needs to be known that not all products are ideal for your dog. One needs to do a trial and error selection procedure to finally arrive at the correct dry dog food for loose stools.
In our opinion, the best dry dog food for loose stools is Lucy’s Pet Formula which is a limited ingredient diet that doesn’t contain any of the allergens like wheat, corn, soy amongst others. The single-source protein is an Alaskan Salmon for them. The product has a healthy balance of vitamins and minerals and also has prebiotics and probiotics which aid digestion.